Invest in the co-op as a member-owner!
Help make our store a success!
The New Orleans Food Cooperative is a consumer owned cooperative. A Member-Owner is more than a consumer! You own it! Member-Ownership is an investment in the cooperative system, local farms and businesses, and sustainable production methods. As a democratic organization, one share = one vote. Unlike publicly traded corporations that allocate more voting power to larger investors, co-ops equalize the playing field by allowing one share and one vote per Member-Owner. Everyone is welcome! Your investment makes you a member-owner of the NOFC. Member-owner equity is vital to ensuring the success of your co-op!
How much is Member-Ownership? Member-ownership may be invested in at the following investment levels. All memberships offer payment plans for those who need it.
- Individual share investment is $100. Payable in a lump sum or in five $20 monthly installments.
- Limited-income share investment is $25. Payable in a lump sum or five monthly installments of $5. This discounted membership, has all the benefits of the Individual $100 share and is available to persons who qualify. Qualifications for the limited income program are: food-stamp or Section 8 eligibility, living on a fixed Social Security or disability benefit, or an equivalent.
- Family memberships. Please purchase an individual share for each adult at the appropriate rate for your economic position.
- Business membership is $100. Payable in a lump sum or in five $20 monthly installments.
- Co-op Harvest Level is $500 ($100 Full membership + $400 additional equity contribution)
- Co-op Sprout Level is $200 ($100 Full membership + $100 additional equity contribution)
- Co-op Seed Level is $150 ($100 Full membership + $50 additional equity contribution)
- Having a store— the biggest benefit!
- Part ownership of the NOFC
- Special members-only discounts
- A vote in Board member elections and on special issues
- Eligibility to serve as a Board member
- Our patronage refund program
- Discounts from other participating businesses
- Eligibility for our “Hands-On-Owner”program
- Access to our benefits for member-owners with a low-income
When you invest online paypal will send you an email confirmation immediately, please save that. After our Owner Services staff enter you into our database you will receive a thank you email and your new owner packet in the mail. If you invest at the register, our helpful cashiers will give issue you an owner card on the spot and you’ll get a free tote bag.
Note: Member-owner equity is always at risk and potentially not available for refund. We are planning for sufficient cash flow from operations and new memberships to support potential requests for refunds after the store has been open at least five years.