When you become a member of New Orleans Food Co-op, you’re not joining a club or making a donation, you’re making an investment and becoming a co-owner of the co-op.
Prosperity through a Cooperative Economy: By becoming a Member -Owner of NOFC you become an owner of a local business! Being a co-op owner helps to strengthen the community by supporting the cooperative movement, sustainable business practices, and local & ethical food systems through our direct market focus and fair-trade offerings.
Your investment is vital to your co-op’s success: Your investment builds the vital equity that contributes to a strong financial position. Owner Equity positions your Co-op to pay off debt, purchase/replace equipment, expand, and increase, improve, & create services to better serve you, our Member-Owners and the broader community.
Ownership comes with rights, responsibilities, and benefits: New Orleans Food Co-op exists for the benefit of our member-owners. These benefits include democratic, economic, social, environmental, and informational benefits for our owners, as well as sense of contribution in making positive social, economic, and environmental impacts in our broader community. Read on for further details.
- Co-ownership of the New Orleans Food Co-op
- Democratic Participation – Vote in the annual Board of Directors elections. Through co-op ownership, nobody can can own more than one share meaning that each vote is weighed equally
- Eligibility to run for a seat on your Board of Directors
- The success of the co-op and our grocery store – perhaps the biggest benefit!
- Patronage refund program - share in the profits
- Special Owner Appreciation Days, sales, and coupons
- Supporting Business Program - discounts at participating businesses
- Food For All Program – access to special discounts and other benefits for member-owners on a limited income
- Email alerts about upcoming events, classes, helpful tips, and should such an unfortunate event occur, product recalls
- Engaged Owner Orientations for new & prospective owners as well as anyone who wishes to learn more about their co-op and how to participate.
- Electronic newsletter regularly delivered to your inbox
- Access to your Co-op’s quarterly and annual financial reports
- Annual report delivered at our annual meeting of owners
- Free Classes- In the future we plan to offer a variety of cooking, wellness, gardening and sustainablility classes. (see calendar for more details)
Social, Community, & Environmental:
- Sense of pride, belonging, and fellowship in your cooperative
- Opportunity to participate – get more involved and build community by volunteering as a “Hands On Owner” and receive discounts in appreciation for your support
- Make shopping easier for yourself and others by supporting our excellent Product Selection Guidelines
- Support the co-op, our Ends, and the values it represents including cooperative economics, supporting local farms & businesses, sustainability, environmental responsibility, community, public health and education, food accessibility, diversity, and social justice
- Sense of contribution in making positive social, economic, and environmental impacts in our broader community
Everyone Eats: We have special benefits for our member-owners with a limited income including the ability to apply for both a discounted membership, and/or a 5% discount on groceries.